Scientology After Going Clear
Los Angeles Field Operations
April 24, 2015, 1600 Hours
Fred G. Haseney, your West Coast Correspondent, reporting from Scientology Incorporated’s (“SI”) West Coast headquarters, the Pacific Area Command Base (aka “PAC Base” or “Big Blue”). Today, I visited the Los Feliz district of Los Angeles. I went there for just a walk; instead, I located the late Mary Sue Hubbard’s house and realized that this affluent neighborhood is being targeted by a marketing and promotional campaign sponsored by SI’s Celebrity Centre International.
An elaborate, 4-color “free” Oxford Capacity Analysis brochure has been delivered by hand (most likely by a day laborer hired to blanket the neighborhood) to many, if not all the homes along North Catalina Street (Catalina St., about a dozen blocks south of Los Feliz Boulevard, flanks PAC Base to its west, paralleling L. Ron Hubbard Way). Traditionally, homes above Los Feliz Blvd. are stately, more an estate than a house; the houses below Los Feliz Blvd. are often simple homes yet that is not always the case. I noted well over a dozen such brochures delivered to homes along the way, most of them were stuffed into gates or fences; some fell or were tossed onto the ground (I picked up said trash and disposed of them properly).
Why is Celebrity Centre International (located at 5930 Franklin Ave., a couple of miles west of this location), targeting this affluent neighborhood? Well, Catalina St. alone has its history of actresses, movie stars, singers and art directors, including: actress Joan Leslie (2228 N. Catalina St.); movie star June Lockhart (2242 N. Catalina St.); actress Kate Hudson (2332 N. Catalina St.); singer Jodie Watley (2406 N. Catalina St.); art director Ralph B. Wilson Jr. (2421 N. Catalina St.); and silent film star Pola Negri (2549 N. Catalina St). I’ve included pictures I photographed yesterday as well as online screen captures from Google Maps 2014 (the source for the information on each house is from the “Los Feliz Improvement Association Historical Survey, Volume II: Streets Beginning with C”).
Also randomly selected by street name from the same area are these homes and the celebrity once attached to each resident:
- 2217 N. Canyon Dr: Home of Francis X. Bushman, movie actor.
- 3915 W. Carnavon Way: Home of film director Ray Enright.
- 4320 W. Cedarhurst Circle: Many film stars including silent screen actresses Madge Bellamy and Norma Talmadge lived here.
- 2307 N. Chislehurst Dr: Home to actress Ida Lupino in 1936.
- 2400 N. Commonwealth Ave: N.E. corner of Cromwell & Commonwealth. Home of the late actress (and Scientologist) Karen Black in the 1980s.
- 2446 N. Commonwealth Ave: Home of actress Julie Adams in 1980s and 1990s.
- 4961 W. Cromwell Ave: Home to actresses Evelyn Stuart in 1930, Sue Carol in the 1930s, and Dixie Lee and husband, singer/actor Bing Crosby in 1931.